We are about one month into the Frontier League season, so it is time to check in to see how the players from the 2016 draft are doing with their teams.
Nine drafted players started the season on a roster for Opening Day, but as of June 16th, only four remain on the same team. Another player was released, but then signed with another team. An additional two players were signed to the teams that drafted them after Opening Day.
The four players who were released:
- C Stephen Sunday (Rookie-1) Florence Freedom (originally signed by Washington Wild Things, released before Opening Day) – released by the Freedom on May 27th after playing in 3 games with a .200 average.
- RHP Nate Carter (Rookie-1) Gateway Grizzlies – released on June 11th after posting a 2-2 record in 10 games and 11.1 IP. He had a 5.55 ERA with 11 K while allowing 12 hits and 4 walks.
- LHP Vin Roth (Rookie-1) River City Rascals – released on May 27th after only 2.0 IP in 3 games. He finished his time with the Rascals with a 27.00 ERA.
- 2B Jeremy Delgado (Rookie-1) Traverse City Beach Bums – released on May 27th after 6 games and 15 at bats. He was batting .200 with 3 walks.
The four remaining players:
- LHP Corey Kimes (Experienced) Gateway Grizzlies – in 5 starts (28.o IP), he has a 1-2 record with 20 K.
- C Garrett Vail (Experienced) Florence Freedom – has played in 18 games. He is currently batting .259 with 2 HR and 5 RBI in 54 at bats.
- RHP Ashton Perritt (Rookie-2) Traverse City Beach Bums – has appeared in 8 games with 11 IP. He has a 4.90 ERA with a 0-1 record.
- RHP Matthew Chavarria (Rookie-1) Normal Cornbelters – is 0-3 in 9 games (2 starts) with a 3.00 ERA. In 27 IP, he has 19 K and allowed 10 BB.
The player who was released and then signed:
- RHP Quinn Pippin (Rookie-1) released by the Joliet Slammers on May 30th and signed by the Normal Cornbelters on June 1st. He pitched in 5 games (9.2 IP) with the Slammers posting a 5.58 ERA and 0-1 record. In one game (1.2 IP) with the Cornbelters, he has a 0.00 ERA with 1 H and 1 K.
And the two drafted players who signed after opening day:
- C Kolten Yamaguchi (Rookie-1) Schaumburg Boomers – went 3-4 in his one game so far for the Boomers.
- RHP Brett Sullivan (Rookie-1) Lake Erie Crushers – has started in one game, going 3 innings with a 9.00 ERA. He is currently 0-1.
I will be doing another update on the players who are still in the league once the All-Star break rolls around next month.
(All stats courtesy of Pointstreak)
One thought on “2016 Frontier Draft Class Part Three – One Month Later”