Tag Archives: independent league

Dominican Republic Team Out of the Can-Am League

can-am

Earlier this week, the Can-Am League issued a press release stating that the Dominican Republic team would not be playing their remaining games on the schedule.  The Hollywood Stars, owned by the Pecos League, will play out the rest of the games.

This isn’t a huge loss for the league as the Dominican Republic team failed to win any of their nine games that they had played. Last year, the team went 2-15.

Below is the Can-Am’s official press release:

 

HOLLYWOOD STARS TO REPLACE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC TEAM

Durham, N.C. — Due to transportation issues, the Dominican Republic team, which finished its games against the Can-Am League’s American clubs Sunday, has been replaced on the schedule by the Hollywood Stars. The Stars competed in the independent Pecos League in 2017.

The Dominican Republic team had been scheduled to play at Ottawa June 19-21, at Trois-Rivières June 22-24, and at Québec June 26-28. All dates and times will remain the same for games against Hollywood.

After the news was made official, a representative of the Dominican Republic team emailed me to tell me that the transportation issue was really just a way for the league to make an excuse not to have them play the remainder of their schedule. They stated that the bus was cancelled by the league, without warning, leaving the Dominicans stranded in New Jersey after having to check out of their hotel.

I reached out to the Can-Am commissioner, Miles Wolff, for his response on Tuesday (6/19), and he told me that:

The Dominican team was scheduled to leave NJ yesterday at 11 a.m. on a bus that the league had hired.   No players were there to meet the bus.  Canadian visas had not been acquired.  Although the DR organizers stated that the team would be ready today, the uncertainty over whether we would have a team to make the trip to Canada caused the league to cancel the Canadian portion of the series.

After Wolff’s email response to me, he went on record with the Ottawa Sun to discuss the issue further, stating:

“I cancelled it,” Champions owner Miles Wolff said. “The decision was mine, not theirs. Their bus was supposed to leave New Jersey at 11 (Monday morning). The team wasn’t ready to leave. They said, ‘Oh, we’re going to leave at 3 the next morning.’ Canadian visas hadn’t been applied for. There was huge uncertainty.

“The team wasn’t very good. They hadn’t gotten their U.S. visas, so they were using a lot of players out of New York City. Last year, they were only 2-16 in the league and they said, ‘OK, we understand the league is strong. We’re going to have a good team for you this year. We want to really do it right.’ It turned out to be worse than last year. The last straw was them cancelling the bus that was supposed to leave. We needed to make sure a team was going to be here.”

The Dominican team representative assured me that they had players in place to play and did everything the league asked of them.  The representative also told me that the bus situation and time of departure was supposed to be set by them, and not the league.  Wolff has been on the record multiple times stating that the Dominican team cancelled the bus, which caused him to cancel the series; however, I have seen an email where he has admitted to cancelling the bus himself because the representative was trying to “force things.”

image2.jpeg

The Hollywood Stars team, which was the Canadian version of the Salina team that just finished their partial schedule, was already in place and ready to take over and play. It does appear that having two different Salina teams (one in Canada and one in the States) shows that this may have been in the works for weeks without the Dominican team’s knowledge.

Since first publishing this article, I’ve been informed by a member of the Salina team that many members were supposed to play in both Canada and the United States. Others were scheduled to return to their original team. Some members of the Canadian Salina team were on their way back to their Pecos League team or on their way to join the Salina team in New Jersey, but were then told they needed to stay. A lot of players had to figure out a way to cancel plans or make other arrangements to stay or return to Canada to form the Hollywood Stars team.

So even if the Can-Am had this planned for weeks, they did not let the Pecos League know about it either.

Understandably, the Dominican Republic team is angry and upset about how the league has handled this entire situation.

Regardless of what exactly happened, the Can-Am bringing in poorly performing teams from outside the league has given them a bad look in recent years.

So far this season, the Salina Stockade (a Pecos League team) is 3-7, the new Hollywood Stars team (basically the Canadian roster of the Stockade) lost their first game and the Dominican team went 0-9.  Last year, there were two foreign teams playing a partial schedule: the Cuban National Team which went 5-16, and that same Dominican team which went 2-15.

The Can-Am has been doing this for years – relying on travel teams or other teams outside of the league to fill their schedule – but these teams are rarely competitive which makes for some long games for both players and fans.

In a way, it almost seems like a publicity stunt that does the exact opposite of what one is supposed to do.  These teams rarely bring in droves and droves of fans (the Dominican team was an exception), but it also appears that it has alienated a lot of fans from the six “core” teams in the league who see it as a joke and are frustrated with seeing such poor play.

Did the Can-Am really believe that the Dominican Republic team couldn’t continue on to the Canadian leg of the schedule? What really happened with the bus situation? Did the poor performance of the team lead to the switch?

Remember, there are always three sides to the story. I gave you the Can-Am League’s and the Dominican Republic team’s… I’ll leave it up to the reader to figure out the third side.

 

Advertisements

National Urban Professional Baseball League

nupbl.jpg

A LOT of players and readers have been asking me for information on the National Urban Professional Baseball League (NUPBL).

Many articles have been appearing about this new indy league starting this summer… (stop me if you’ve heard this one before…). You can read all of these articles on their “Press Release” page on the official website.

It does appear that some players (I’ll assume they’re players in this league as there are no rosters) have been out in the community, and the league is trying to reach out to surrounding communities… That is always a plus.

The NUPBL claims to be a “rebirth” of the Negro leagues because African Americans have been “limited” in their opportunities to play baseball, while then stating in the next sentence that they are in “NO WAY” limited to only African American players.

To me, this is just sending a ton of mixed signals to what this league is trying to do.

I’ve reached out to the league multiple times, as I’ve also stated in my article back in November, but they have failed to respond to my questions – even the biggest scams in recent history had enough respect to email me back and give me BS answers. This league has decided to just ignore it.

That’s fine, but I can’t ignore reporting about them.

The only information I know about this league is what is provided on their official website, that just so happens to be full of grammatical errors and stock photographs.

Their “About Us” page states:

Vision
Promote Diversity in Baseball
Develop Economic, Social and Educational Programs
Promote Entrepreneurship
Mission Statement
Inspire individuals to use their God given talent and abilities
to reach their personal and professional goals
The creation of this professional Baseball League is designed to provide family entertainment.This league will be dedicated to the generations of baseball players who were denied the opportunity to play baseball because of factors other than their ability to play the game of baseball.
African American baseball players has been limited in their opportunity to participate in the game of baseball
“America’s Pastime”
on the high school, college and the professional baseball level.While this league in “NO WAY” will be limited to only African America players. We will seek out the best baseball players from across the United State and the World regardless of their ethnic back round.

The league in its initial conception will consist of four teams with plans for future expansion.

Play a seventy two game schedule between
May thru August in addition to play-offs

Team (s) will consist of
Team manager
Coaches
24 players per team
Targeted ages for the team will be players 17 years old and older (that have completed or will be completing their H.S. eligibility).
The players in this league will be paid
Scheduled to start in May 2018

We will form the teams by selecting players (not withstanding their racial back round) from across the United State and the World by way of open try-outs to be held at a number of sites (see tryouts).
After the teams are formed the players that will makeup these teams will actively take part in pre-planned promotion activities.

The names of the teams in this league will reflect that of past Negro League players i.e. Rube Foster All-Stars, Satchel Paige All-Stars, and Josh Gibson All-Stars etc. To honor the history and memories of past African America baseball players (the same as the Negro League Museum in Kansas City, MO).

The main page states that games will be played at Wooten Legion Field in Laurel, Mississippi and USA Stadium in Millington, Tennessee.
Opening day is May 25th…
Will the players be paid? Will there be housing provided? Are stats going to be available?
There are no answers for that.
But… if you’ve paid more money for Season Tickets than I’ve ever paid for any another indy league, you can get free game day meals! The stock photos look delicious!
I’m not trying to make this league a joke, but it’s really hard to see this league as anything other than another fly-by-night, one and done league. Everything about this suggests the league is trying to take advantage of players.
I hope I’m wrong. I hope I can do an update in a couple months and say how successful this league is… that the players are taken care of, the fields are playable, players will be paid, and statistics will be posted.
I just don’t want players to get scammed again. I’ve seen it WAY too many times over the last few years. I care about players. I just want them to do their research and know what they’re getting into. I try to do as much research for them as possible, but some times, I just can’t get straight answers.

*Update* apparently the city in Tennessee has backed out. All games will happen in Mississippi.

I’ve also been told that the league does not want to give me any information.